DishPRO PVR 501 Info
The Dish Network User's Resource
Updated 3/20/01 jbuff
The DISHPro PVR 501 (DP501) is an advanced standard definition DISH Network
satellite receiver with an internal hard drive for digital video recording (DVR).
DISHPro PVR 501 uses the DISH Interactive user interface.
Unique Product Features
- A Personal Video Recorder (PVR) product which includes Digital Video
Recording features that will change the way you watch TV - and at no
- Ability to “lock” recorded programs so that they will not be overwritten.
- Manual event timers for PVR.
- Expansion port - allows DP501 to be upgraded for additional recording
capabilities, in addition to interfacing with other peripherals for the
ultimate in entertainment choice.
- UHF/Infrared Remote Control - the first satellite receiver/DVR with a UHF/IR
remote control for multi-room distribution.
- DISH Interactive (powered by OpenTV) Electronic Program
Guide (EPG), User Interface (UI) and interactivity capabilities. Associated
features include: Interactive applications such as Instant Weather with more
applications coming in the future via satellite download
- Instant Weather
- Access weather instantly on channel 9500
- Weather conditions for nearly 1,000 U.S. cities, ski areas and national
- Five day forecasts updated every 12 hours
- Current weather updated every hour
- Favorites list for storing one local city and 5 additional cities
- User-friendly, on-screen guidance for navigation using the remote control
- DISH Instant Weather is FREE to DISH Network subscribers
- New, improved EPG
- 2 EPG display options:
- Full-Screen EPG: displays 6 lines of channel listings with current time,
date and channel number
- Picture-in-Guide EPG: 1/2 screen displays 4 lines of channel listings,
1/4 screen current time, date, and channel number, 1/4 screen TV picture
- Increased channel storage in four user-definable favorites lists
- Instantaneous current and next program extended information: no more
waiting for the information to download from the satellite, info is stored in
the receiver's memory for instant retrieval
- Separate locks for adult and PPV channels.
- Optical digital output for Dolby Digital and Linear PCM
- Enhanced Event Timers - programs the satellite receiver to automatically
tune to a program at a designated time for viewing or to command a VCR to
record selected events.
- Infrared (IR) Blast - allows receiver to send IR commands to a VCR to
activate power-up and recording of a program.
Standard Product Features
- On-Screen, Interactive Electronic Program Guide (EPG) - easily access TV
listings with touch of remote control.
- Page at a Time Scrolling - allows rapid scrolling through the EPG, one
full page-at-a-time. Also has day at a time scrolling.
- Program Information - by pressing the “Info” button, you can instantly
access program information, such as start time, ending time, and when
available, a brief description about the program.
- Transparent Info Pages - allows continued viewing of a program while
information about the program is displayed.
- Convenient channel navigation using
- Themes Lists - access channels by category
- Themes List categories include: Movies, Sports, News/Business,
Family/Children, Education, Series/Specials, Music/Arts, Religious
- Favorites Lists - access a grouping of user selected channels
- Favorites List categories include: All channels, All subscribed channels
(All Subs), and four User-defined lists holding up to 120 channels
- Music Titles - this music channel feature displays the title, artist,
album and label of the song being played
- V-chip Type Technology - provides Parental Control over access to
programming based on Channels, Ratings and Content
- Software Upgradeable via Satellite - allows receivers to automatically
receive software upgrades via satellite when available
- Transparent Browse Banner - allows channel surfing using channel banners
superimposed across the bottom of the screen, while the program viewed remains
- Impulse Pay-Per-View with On-Screen Purchase Summary - easily order PPV
programs via remote control, with the ability to conveniently view recent
- Closed Caption Support - when supported by the program, dialogue is
scrolled across the bottom of the screen.
- User-Selectable Receiver Diagnostic Testing - convenient tool for
- One-Touch Channel Return - jumps back and forth between the channel being
viewed and the previous channel
- Alternate Audio (Alternate Language Support) - allows selection of various
audio languages when supported by the program.
- MPEG-2 DVB Compliant Technology - compliant with industry standards for
DBS digital television broadcasting
- Dish Antenna Aiming screen based upon user ZIP code
- Dish Antenna Peaking (Signal Strength) via Audio Tone and 2-Color Bar
Front Panel Features:
- 9 front panel buttons Info Menu Sys Info Power Cursor up Cursor down
Cursor left Cursor right Select
- “Info” button gives you instant access to program information.
- “Menu” displays the Main Menu to allow access to the Program Guide,
System Setup, Themes, Favorites, Timers and other functions.
- “Sys Info” displays receiver information including: receiver and smart
card numbers, software version and remote address.
- Mode Light: The green “Power” LED light on the front panel indicates when
the DISHPro 501 receiver is on; the amber “Recording” LED light indicates
digital recording has been initiated.
- Smart Card receptacle and door
- IR sensor/IR blast
Rear Panel Features:
- Satellite Antenna Input
- RF Modulated Output: Outputs satellite source on channel 3 or 4, or passes
through a connected antenna/cable feed to the television
- S-Video Output
- 2 pairs RCA-Type Stereo Audio Outputs
- 2 Composite RCA-Type Video Outputs
- Optical Digital Output for Dolby Digital and PCM Digital Audio
- RJ-11 telephone connection
- Expansion port
- Accessory Jack
- UHF Remote Antenna Input
- 2 pronged power cord
Remote Control Features:
- UHF/Infrared Remote Control (4 Component, 41-Button, “Blue Button” Remote
Control) - controls satellite receiver up to a distance of 100 feet through
walls and other obstructions and can be programmed to operate up to three
additional components, such as TVs and VCRs.
- New skip ahead, skip back buttons
- Added stop, play, pause, forward, reverse, record buttons
- “PVR List” added to asterisk button
- Remote Control Part Number: 104314
- Dimensions: W: 14.96" H:3.1" D:10.10"
- Weight: 8.5 lbs.
- Color: Matte black with silver buttons
Packout Options, Pricing & Availability (as of 03/2001):
- Standalone DISHPro PVR 501 (Part #103199) $349
- Includes remote control (Part #104314), assorted cables
- Limited Availability - April 2001
- Systems w/Dish 500 $399
- Limited Availability - April 2001
Warranty on DISHPro PVR 501, parts and labor is valid for one year from date
of sale. If the equipment fails within the first 30 days, the customer will
receive a new replacement. Outside of 30 days they will receive a refurbished
receiver or parts replacement. If the product is out of warranty, it will be
replaced for a charge. There are some items that are not covered under warranty,
including replacement of lost or damaged Smart Cards, installation of the
system, cosmetic damage, damage due to lightning, electrical surges, fire,
flood, or other acts of Nature, accident, misuse, abuse, repair or alteration by
other than authorized factory service, improper or neglected maintenance. If the
customer has an extended warranty, damage due to an electrical surge is covered.
Other restrictions apply, refer to the Warranty outlined in the User Manual for
- Do I have to pay for the Personal Video Recorder (PVR) capabilities?
No - DISHPro 501's PVR features are included with the hardware.
- Front Panel Reset - the unit can be reset by holding the Power button on
the front panel for approximately five seconds (similar to 6000)